The Dream Artist Supply Store...

Ramblings about art techniques and supplies You also might find reviews/rants/opinions/facts/links about all things art.
I'm currently a conservation tech at Easter Conservation Svcs. and display my paintings at Art Bank Gallery.
My lifelong pursuit is art- I've been messing with art materials since the 70's and I have had jobs and commissions as a muralist, decorative painter, scenic painter, house painter, handyman's helper, and graphic designer... And I went to college too! To top it off, I've even been a bartender and a cake decorator. Through all my experiences, I've come to know a lot about tools and materials and mixing things up to match, fit specific spaces or fulfill a special need.
It's fun to share . Read more about me at www.ginagolden.com

9.04.2014

Acrylics over oils? Really? No.

Acrylics over oils? Oh my......No! I just read somewhere on the wonderful wacky web that it would be fine...well....No. But you can use shellac or shellac based primer over the oil based and then acrylic over that and the world will stay in one nice piece much longer.  Oil and water don't stick together well. Oil paint oxidizes and sorta keeps doing that for who knows how long. If you put water based paint (unless magically formulated- as some are) it will soon come off the oil.
If you're painting on canvas, forget the shellac. Too brittle. Just stick stay with oils. It's more fun anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment!